We will explore the narrative potential of sound and learn how to use it as a storytelling instrument.
Sound in animation film by Mateja Staric
Detalles del curso
What do you make out of a carrot, a balloon, a brush, a zipper and a coconut?… Foley sound studio! Whatever comes at hand can produce sounds; by designing them in a meaningful way, they can make a story.
We will explore the narrative potential of sound and learn how to use it as a storytelling instrument, which can drive the plot, build characters, support the drama and evoke emotions.
Goals of the course:
- Understanding the complete process of making sound for animation.
- Learning how to employ sound as a storytelling tool.
- Expanding the perceptiveness and creativity in sound design.
- Building up vocabulary and the ability to communicate sound topics.
- Learning to do basic sound design independently.
This course is conducted in English and live with the teacher. Students don’t need any particular preknowledge, yet they should have and be able to use some basic hardware and software equipment:
- Headphones and loudspeakers.
- Any kind of audio recording device.
- Any software that enables basic multi track audio editing synchronous to video playback.
Plan de estudios
- Theoretical topics on sound design.
- Watching, listening and analysing examples.
- Creative challenges and hearing exercises.
- Technical introduction to audio equipment.
- Practical work on soundtrack for a short animation film.